Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer
Automatic redaction also known as auto-redaction is the automated blacking out, deletion, or “sanitizing” of text in documents or electronic formats. Auto-redaction can be utilized for scanned paper documents, emails, text messages, and metadata (information that is hidden within a given communication medium).
The purpose of auto-redaction is typically to permit the selective disclosure of information, such as protected health information, often in the midst of legal proceedings, while maintaining confidentiality.
To protect your information even when required under law to decipher and produce relevant parts, it is crucial to be able to review, identify, and redact information that is out of scope or irrelevant to the request. For many reasons, especially when related to litigation, the ability to quickly and accurately manage your sensitive information is tantamount.
Historically, such redaction was done manually. Law firms or companies would employ an attorney to painstakingly review each and every document slated for potential disclosure and physically redact any sensitive or irrelevant information. As you may imagine, this process is time consuming, expensive, and often inaccurate.
- Cost – Auto-redaction can review exponentially more documents in a fraction of the time compared to manual redaction. This not only cuts down on review costs, it also frees up valuable time for your business.
- Time - Manually redacting documents generally requires scanning, manual reading, copying and filing which can eat up a lot of time when working with a large volume of documents. When faced with tight discovery deadlines, in addition to your business’ regular day-to-day tasks, Auto-Redaction is quite beneficial to ensure complete and timely compliance with mandated time limits. Auto-Redaction allows businesses to review more information in less time.
- Accuracy - With automated redaction, your business can eliminate serious consequences that can result from an individual oversight or human error. Inconsistencies that are inherent with manual redaction processes are also eliminated. Even the slightest mistake in review or organization can result in an unintentional disclosure of confidential information.
In recent years, the advancement of redaction technology has allowed for this process to be automated and increasingly more perceptive. Artificial intelligence (AI) in redaction is the ability of computer software, with minimal inputs, to review and redact information consistently and more accurately than traditional processes such as manual review or search-term software programs. AI combines human-level discernment with computerized speed and precision. Through the use of AI, automation of the redaction process allows businesses to:
- Minimize the risk of information leaks
- Identify and redact sensitive information including PII, PHI, privileged, and confidential information
- Go beyond normal “search term” software to find nuanced information such as disguised or misspelled data that should be redacted
- Quickly respond to data breaches or privacy requests (to comply with GDPR or CCPA)
- Easily redact sensitive information from unstructured sources like emails, texts, or images
- Quickly locate, store and organize past redaction material for real-time report or log generation
What to Look for in Auto-Redaction Software?
When considering a redaction tool, you will want to ensure that the program that you select has all the capabilities that you require. Pay close attention to:
- Artificial Intelligence Reasoning
- Detection Sensitivity
- Speed and Accuracy
- Organizational Features
- Storage Capabilities
- Customer Support
The Text IQ's AI-powered Auto-Redact is advanced enough to classify and redact documents with speed and accuracy, while providing a user-friendly interface. For more information, or to request a demo, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.